Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 8 - The Dragonriders of Pern Book Review

Today, since the kids were still sick, and so am I, I decided to read a new book. As some of you may have heard, one of my favorite authors, Anne McCaffrey, died last November. I found this out about a month ago. Her last book Sky Dragons was written with her son, Todd McCaffrey. It came out not too long ago.

What's it all about:

Sky Dragons is the last book set in the universe of the Dragonriders of Pern. However, it's not the last chronologically. I'm not going to go into that much detail on this book specifically, but will give you a brief summary of the Pern universe.

In the distant future, humans spread out and colonized many planets. Pern is settled by colonists wishing to escape war and technology. A few years after the colonists settle, they are attacked by an organism that falls from the sky and devours all organic material it touches, including humans. Naming the organism thread, the colonist band together to fight for their planet and their lives. As a last defense, they create dragons from the native firelizards. These dragons form a connection, called impression, with a human partner. Together, dragons and humans fight thread from the sky and Pern survives.

What I think of the series:

The Dragonriders of Pern series is one of my all time favorites. I read the entire series about one a year and it never get old. I am so sad that Anne McCaffrey will not write another book because I looked forward to reading each new one as soon as it came out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment