Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day 11 - Alphabet Pick Up Game

Connor came up with a brilliant game today and I thought I would share it with all of you. I am calling it the Alphabet Pick Up Game for lack of a better name. If you guys have any suggestions for a better name feel free to comment!

What you need:

Cutout Alphabet letters (I have a bunch that were a present from a friend when Connor was born to decorate things with but I'm sure you could find some at any craft store or make your own.)

What we did:

Connor got into the craft bin and emptied the entire thing out. In it, he found the alphabet letters and started to run from the dining room to the living room, throwing them around. I was going to scold him for making a mess but then I saw how much fun he was having just grabbing each letter and throwing it around the room. So, I decided to make it into a game. As he came running into the room he would hold up the letter for me to see it before he tossed it. I started saying the letter and the sound it made. He got a kick out of this and we continued until all the letters were tossed around. When that happened, I had him pick up a letter and bring it to me. I said the letter name and it's sound and then had him repeat the sound. He is still working on his talking so this not only helps with that but also let me know what he can say easily. We did this until almost all the letters were picked up. He tired himself out so much he actually had to go down for a second nap today.

What I would do differently:

Next time I might say a word that begins with the letter too and see if he can say the word as well as the sound. This is a great way to get your little ones talking and learning. Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment