Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 18 Monthly Subscription Boxes

A couple months ago I decided to try out a couple different monthly subscription boxes. I found the idea by seeing an ad for one on the side of my facebook main page. I can never decide on just one so I got a couple of them and thought I would share what I have found so far.

What it is:

For those of you who don't know what these are it's really easy to explain. It is a box of items that is sent to you monthly. What's great about them is the fact that you can find a subscription for just about anything. We have tried so far:

Picky Bunny (Gently loved clothes for Baby/Toddler)
Bluum (Items for Baby & Mom)
Ecocentric Mom (Items for Pregnancy, Baby, Mom)
Citrus Lane (Toys and must haves for Baby/Toddler)
Love With Food (Food Samples)
Birchbox Man (Grooming and lifestyle items for Guys)

What we thought:

Picky Bunny: We got two monthly subscription boxes from Picky Bunny (1 for each child) and used it for only two months. You can get one of four different plans: budget, basic, boutique, or bundle. We chose the budget bunny because it fit our lifestyle the best.  The clothes were in great condition and some even came with the tags still on. In the first boxes the sizes weren't right and they didn't do a great job matching the clothing items with what I requested. After sending them an email about it they quickly gave my a partial refund and made sure they had everything correct in their system. The second boxes we got from them were all the right sizes and better fit my preferences but still weren't great. We decided it was easier to go to a consignment sale or other secondhand shop and get what we really want rather than depending on someone else to basically read our minds.

Love With Food: I was really excited for this monthly box because it is food and because for every box you buy they donate a meal to a charity. However, when the box came the first time it was not all that thrilling. The sample sizes are small and the theme was not to our liking. The theme was "Getting back into skinny jeans". I don't know about you but when I want to try new food items as a splurge I don't want a bunch of healthy foods. The samples did taste ok but they also forgot one of the items for our box. I contacted customer service and they responded right away that they were sending me the missing item. I was rather shocked and pleasantly surprised to find about 12 of the sample item in the mail a week later. The second box was also not very thrilling though. The box was a back to school theme and had a bunch of snacks you could throw into a kid's lunch. My toddler ate the applesauce pouch right away but we haven't even looked at the other items again since it came. I guess I was hoping for something a little more adventurous and something with better themes. We cancelled this one after two months as well.

Birchbox Man: I got this one to see if my picky husband would branch out and try anything new for his pampering routine. Seriously, he takes more time getting ready than I do. Anyway, we have gotten 2 boxes and it is definitely a keeper. They send samples but they are nice size samples and if you like an item you can go on their site and get the full size product for a discount. The first box had shampoo, conditioner, face cleanser, body powder, cologne, and a pair of boxers. My hubby liked everything nut the shampoo and conditioner (then again all he will use is Herbal Essences). The second box came with some shaving oil, face/body cleanser, hair styling cream, cologne, a jigger and whiskey stones. There was also a gift card for $10 to an online whiskey store. My husband loves this box and looks forward to it now. I would highly recommend getting the men in your life a subscription to Birchbox Man as a gift.     

As to the Ecocentric Mom, Bluum and Citrus Lane boxes, I will have to let you know in another couple weeks. We have only gotten one box of each so far and I like to give most companies a couple chances to wow me before I decided if I like them or not.      

No comments:

Post a Comment