Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 1

So, I've finally given in and started my own blog. Unlike a lot of blogs out there, this will not be about me or my family personally (I've never had the ability to keep a journal, let alone keep a baby book updated). Instead, I plan on focusing on the idea of trying something new each day. Each day I will try something new and post about it here. If it is a recipe I will share the recipe and how/if I changed anything while cooking. If it is an activity with the kids I will share the steps taken and how the kids reacted. If it is a date night idea I will let you know the steps involved and how it went. There will be pictures, successes, mistakes and, hopefully, lots of fun for my family. I hope everyone is excited for what is to come!

Oh, and if you are wondering what my new thing for today is, it's starting this blog. I have no idea what I am doing and have a lot of setting and templates to look through to get things going. If you want something more exciting, here's a recipe I tried last night.

Leek and Potato Soup (from epicurious.com)

Ingredients:

3 T butter
3 large leeks (white & light green part only), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 1/2 c (or more) chicken stock or canned low salt broth
2 T chopped chives

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks; stir to coat in butter. Cover; cook until leeks are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes begin to soften but don't brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chicken stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.

Puree soup until smooth. Thin with additional stock if too thick. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.

What I changed:

I used 2 leeks and 3 potatoes since that is what I had on hand. I also added about 1 T pepper, 1 T salt, 1/2t garlic, 1/2t onion powder. It took about 2 more cups of stock to thin it down with the extra potato and we didn't add the chives.

What we thought:

Not only was it a new recipe but it was it the first time I made soup not from a can. My husband and I really liked it and we are willing to try it again.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment