Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 16 - Cupcake Decorating Class

Today I attended the first of two cupcake decorating classes. It was a blast and I learned how to make six different fall themed cupcakes. I've always wanted to learn more about cooking and baking and it is great to get out of the house and do something different not mommy related.

What it is:

JCPS has a lifelong learning program that has a bunch of different classes from carpentry to computers. I thought a bunch of the classes would be interesting to take but decided on taking the cupcake decorating class with my mother in law. You can find all their class listings at this site www.lifelonglearning4u.com
I had a great time learning how to make spider, sunflower, apple, pumpkin, owl and scarecrow cupcakes. It was also great that I got to share it with my mother in law. We don't get to spend much time together but whenever we do we have fun. I will also tell you how to make an owl cupcake since that one was the cutest in my opinion.

What you need:

Cupcakes (however many you want to make)
Frosting (you could use either a buttercream or a chocolate)
Butterscotch candies (2 of the circle ones per cupcake)
Chocolate chips (2 per cupcake)
Whole Cashews (1 per cupcake)
Almond slices (a bunch)

What to do:

First, cut the top off the cupcake so that it is flat on top. Spread frosting on the top so that it is smooth. Take the 2 butterscotch candies and place them a little above the halfway point to make the eyes. Use a little frosting to get the chocolate chips to stick in the middle of the butterscotch candies. Take the cashew and place it as the beak, lengthwise. Using the almond slices, place them around the eyes of the owl sticking up but at a slight angle to make feathers. Repeat for all cupcakes.

 

What I thought:  

Learning something new is a great way to get out of the house and keep your mind active. I highly recommend taking a course from your local community college or another lifelong learning if you haven't already. It's never too late to try something new or get more experience. It's also good for your mental health to spend some time away from the kids and focus on yourself for a change. That's something I struggle with all the time. Hopefully this will be the start of me remembering that a happy mommy makes a better mommy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment