Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 25 - Story Time

Today I took the kids to story time at the local library. I used to love taking Connor to story time when he was a baby but haven't been able to take Cayleigh until today. I also got to take Connor to the toddler story time for the first time today too. I've really been missing out!

What it is:

Our local public library system has story times at least once a week for various age groups. The one closest to us, St. Matthews, does baby and toddler story time on Thursdays at 10:15 and 11:15 respectively. Baby story time is for ages 0 to 2 and mainly consists of songs. We sing songs like Twinkle, Twinkle and Row, Row, Row Your Boat and The Itsy, Bitsy Spider and do actions along with them to engage the little ones. After about 20 minutes of songs we get to play time. Today, we did bubbles. The reading lady blew bubbles for all the babies and the mommies got a chance to talk some. The toddler story time is a bit more structured. It is for ages 2 to 4 mainly so the kids can pay attention longer. We open with a couple songs and then we read a book. After a couple more songs, we read another book and then closed with a song. After all that, there was a craft to do. Today, we colored an activity page.

Why I like it:

I love that it gets us out of the house and doing something different. I also really like the socialization aspect of it. My kids got to see, talk and play with other littles and I got to talk to other mommies. The songs are usually ones everyone knows so it is easy to join in. If it is a new song or one that is not so popular the reading lady teaches it first and all songs are sung twice. The books are age appropriate and the songs and rhymes go along with the book theme.

What I dislike:

I, like a lot of other mommies out there, had to take my kids to both story times. The mixing of the older and younger kids leads to some general confusion but it is not a deal breaker since everyone still has fun. The other thing I dislike is that some of the moms talk through story time. It makes everything louder and more confusing.


All in all, story time is a must have in your weekly schedule. So, look up your local library and see what they have. I know that Pottery Barn Kids also does a weekly story time if you have one of them near you.      

No comments:

Post a Comment