Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mommies Groups

Today's post is about Mommies' Groups. I am personally a member of three different ones. The first one is a local group for Mommies of Little Ones. The second is a local baby wearing group. The third is a group of women from all over the world who were due in the same month as me, and we have stayed in contact. I wanted to talk a little about the different types of groups out there and how to find them.

The Age-Based Local Mommies' Group:

I love my local mommies' group and I think they are a great idea for new mommies as well as mommies with many kids. Local groups let you meet other moms in the area while getting out of the house and socializing both yourself and your kids. What I like about this group in particular is that we are moms with various backgrounds and interests, both working and stay at home, who are bound together through having kids. It gives you lots of various opinions and insights into different parenting styles and personalities. It's also a great way to find other kids around the same age as your children before they are in school. We do playdates, potlucks, moms nights out and other various activities together.  I found a few local mommies groups by using Meetup. After attending a meetup (an event held by the group), I decided which one was the best fit for me and my family. You can do a local search for yourself using yahoo meetup or even facebook. You can check out my mommies group at http://www.meetup.com/Mommies-of-Infants-Toddlers/ or https://www.facebook.com/groups/louisvillemommies/ They are closed groups so you won't see that much info unless you join, but you can at least see what I am talking about.

The Parenting Theory-Based Mommies Group:

The second group is a local baby-wearing group. This group is not really so much about playdates and other get-togethers, but more based on the interest of baby-wearing. This group hosts monthly meetings to talk about the different ways you can "wear" or carry your baby (or toddler). Most people have heard of the Moby Wrap or the Ergo Baby as popular baby carriers but there are other options out there too. Mommies or daddies interested in baby-wearing use a carrier of some form to wear their baby more often than not. It is a way to bond with your child. I found this local group by various means. the first was through another mommy's reference. She told me about the group and I checked it out. I also heard about this group through one of the local natural parenting stores, Mama's Hip. Last, I made contact with them through the facebook page they have. So if you are looking for a group of mommies that share a particular parenting philosophy or theme I suggest using your local resources like the local baby boutiques or other local mommies first. Second, do a Facebook or Meetup search and see what you find. Here is the link to the group. It is also closed so you would have to join to see more info. https://www.facebook.com/groups/KBWers/ You can also go here to see the local store I was talking about http://mamas-hip.com/

The Pregnancy Due Date Mommies' Group:

While I was pregnant with my second, I found Mothering.com. It is a website for parents who tend to lean towards natural parenting. I joined a due date club based on my due date month and talked to women around the world who were as pregnant as I was. We shared our grumpiness and happiness, our fears and hopes, our aches and pains, and our beautiful babies as they were born. Now that the babies are here, some have left the group, but quite a few of us remain in touch. We come from all over so there are many different cultures and beliefs but we remain connected through our babies. It's a great way to talk to other moms about any issues you are having from diapering to feeding to sleeping. It's also a great group to talk about what your little one has achieved so far and see cute baby photos! I found this group by searching for natural parenting sites because that was what was important to me. However, you can find a due date group on most pregnancy and baby sites like thebump.com or babycenter.com.


No matter what type of mommies' group you are looking for, you can probably find one that suits your needs and lifestyle. The best way is to do a search on networking sites like www.facebook.com or www.meetup.com However, don't underestimate the recommendations of local business owners and other mommies in the area!     

No comments:

Post a Comment